Saturday, February 20, 2010

Close to Heart (3rd and last indoor sim ride) - 2/19/2010


It was a tough ride last night, not really physically, but for sure mentally. After the 12-hr sim ride about 5 weeks ago, I thought riding 8 hours should be a piece of cake -- not really. Many if not all emotions surfaced, ups and downs, even when all the lights at the Trailhead shop were being turned on, videos were being played -- I realized that I was out in the world by myself, for a "long" period of time. That's what sim rides helped me reveal. I asked why, I looked for distractions, I searched for things to lean on, I questioned everything I believed in -- I came to a conclusion that I had absolutely no idea how soul-searching meant to a few who took the journey before me -- even though last night's ride was not that long of a ride relatively.

Then, I heard the door bells, saw the familiar faces and voices, even a friend who just came back from a long absence to serve the country, even an old friend whom I traveled to Kenya for her missonary family in 1999, and a Boston-bound marathon runner, and downhill/uphill skiers. My heart was lightened up. I felt I was smiling. I was excited once again. Those nasty tiredness, sleepiness, off-balance feelings all disappeared...

The following message not only is written to thank those who lifted me up, but also to share what "close to heart" meant.
Paul S., you'll gain your strength on your bike over the time like I went through last night.
Carol R., your family and venture stories have always lightened my spirit.
Melinda S., the road ahead is very challenging. I'll pray for you, and nothing can put you down.
Pam/Larry S., thanks for lightening my journey and helping me carry the Team Strong Heart torch in 2010 RAAM and years to come.
Steve C., for all those whose hearts have been touched by you, I want to thank you for everything you have done for many many people. I'm very lucky to have a friend like you.
Kate D., even though 11 years have pased since our trip to Kenya, the spirits from the Masai world have been engraved in me. Thanks for letting me be in that innocent yet uplifing part of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment