Monday, May 17, 2010

Team Strong Heart in CO -- May 15, 2010





Higher elevation training seems to be a must for riders particularly for me to acclimate the 100,000+ feet of climbing during RAAM's 3,000+ miles coast to coast journey. The mile-high cities in CO provide the great opportunities for such training.

Last weekend, Team Strong Heart organized a fundraising event in Boulder CO, and I had an opportunity to hit the road after rain/snow moved out of the Boulder area. After missing a turn towards the Carter Lake which was supposed to my route with some good rolling hills in the 5,000+ feet condition, I later found myself accidentally climbing west towards the Estes Park --a few snow patches appeared after a 20-mile steady climb!!! The good thing was that the slope was gentle and I was able to stay in a low HR zone. The best part of this was coming back down, literally, a 20-mile downhill. The beautiful mt. views, clouds, falling rocks, melting snow into the riverfall made the best of this experience -- I'm very grateful for being in the nature while knowing the best is yet to come in June.

Amy Xu (Dorsey & Whitney, partner)
Team Strong Heart 2008 (team) and 2010 (solo)
612-991-4912

No comments:

Post a Comment